Attracting and developing staff across all partners of the AHSC is one of its strategic objectives. It aims to help scientists, healthcare professionals and other staff from a wide variety of disciplines, professions and backgrounds come together to excel as teams.
Professional development support
The AHSC provides a range of professional development support such as a study resource for NHS staff. It compiles in one location a range of Imperial College London courses such as Digital Health, Healthcare Leadership Development and research methods, data analysis and statistics.
These courses are rooted in the College’s research expertise and will equip staff with the latest skills and techniques to bring further benefits to patients and populations. They are hosted either online, blended learning (online plus some on-campus learning) or as short courses.
The AHSC also offers a wide range of opportunities and support activities to enable all clinicians to get involved in research. Through a range of initiatives trainees and other healthcare professionals can complete their training/carry out roles whilst learning and undertaking research alongside internationally renowned clinicians and researchers.
Clinical Academic Training Office
Clinical academic training across the AHSC is overseen by the AHSC Education Committee and supported by the Imperial Clinical Academic Training Office (CATO), the AHSC’s pan-professional clinical academic training hub.
CATO supports the development of clinical researchers in all clinical health professions and across the career pathway. The CATO programme includes:
- Masterclasses and research
- Information and signposting about funding and opportunities to ensure success
- Guidance around research careers, mentoring and one-to-one advice
- Research skills training, academic interview and writing workshops and resources such as the Clinical Research Training Framework
- Targeted workshops to identify and nurture a growing cohort of ‘non-medical’ clinical academic researchers (Nurses, Midwives, Allied Health Professions, Healthcare Scientists, Pharmacy staff, Pharmacists, NMAHPPs)